Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Joy of a "Doughnut"

I don't know how to explain how proud I was when my daughter made the "t" sound in final position.  I remember asking her what she would like for breakfast and as clear as any 3 year old could be she said "I wanna doughnut."  I couldn't help myself I cried.  I called everyone I knew and had her repeat the word.  Every repeat was right one.  Every single one - which is a big thing for a child with apraxia!

I remember being proud with the first roll over, the first crawl, the first sound and all those other important firsts.  With my daughter I consistently get firsts and I consistently cry about them!!  The first time she made a "K" sound the first time she said a consonant/vowel (C/V) word,the first time she said a whole sentence.  These are firsts I will always remember, just like when she used to scootch backwards around the living room.  She makes me proud everyday that something new takes route in her words.

I wait patiently for my son to also take flight with his speech - for I know I will be as gracious as I am with my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment